Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Alex & Cooking,101

I wish I had gotten a picture of this. You’ll have to use your imagination on this one. Alex and her friend Chloe were going to make no-bake fudge cookies for their Young Women bake sale. I asked the girls if they knew what to do and if they needed my help. They said they knew what to do and no, they did not need my help. A little later something told me I needed to check in with them. I walked into the kitchen and they had put the sugar, milk and butter in a pot and were getting ready to put the remainder of the ingredients in the pan. I reminded them they needed to boil the first three ingredients for one minute before adding the remaining ingredients. Alex said, “We did. We let it boil for one minute.” I was puzzled because the butter and sugar had not melted down and the pot was not hot. Here’s what they had done: they put the first three ingredients in the pot, turned on the stovetop burner, and set the timer for one minute. When I finally could stop laughing I had to show them what boiling means!

0 comments: