Monday, February 9, 2009

Fend For Your Self … I'm taking the night off!

I have decided to institute a new program in our home, "Fend for Yourself Night" which will take place at least once a week. This means that each individual is on their own to fix their own dinner for the evening and clean up the mess. They can have anything their little or big heart's desire, left overs, cereal, frozen waffles and sandwiches, I don't care what they choose to eat. They know how to boil water (mac n' cheese) use a microwave, and they know how to spread peanut butter on bread. Why not put these skills to good use!

The reason I've started this is because on some nights I don't feel like cooking or even want to think about what to cook and maybe I'm not even that hungry and snacking will suit my nutritional needs--so why am I gonna cook a meal!. I have a wonderful husband who cooks and picks up the slack for me, but sometimes we need the night off.

I like to believe I'm training my kids to be independent and self-reliant. Plus it's kind of fun watching them...Fend for Themselves!

2 comments:

Lucinda said...

Brilliant! I will let Alan know it was your idea!

Kelly Merrell said...

I love it! I must admit I practice this often, but I really like giving it an official title.